Saturday 11 May 2013

One Day at a Landfill

Hey, friends around the world!

Patricia here :)

So, today I want to talk to you guys about garbage dump. A garbage dump is an area full of our trash. I call it 'garbage dump', but I just found out that it is called a 'landfill'.

Look at the picture I posted here. This is not a land. This is not a layer of soil. Actually, this is a huuuugggeee pile of garbage! It really shocked me because I saw hills of garbage everywhere. Yes, everywhere in a large area of a landfill here around Serangan island area. I took this picture after I planted mangrove trees at the Serangan beach few weeks ago.

Have you seen the movie titled Wall-E? Well if you did, then you'll know how I feel when I saw that landfill. I imagine the Earth full of garbage just like the Wall-E movie and we humans must live in a spacecraft! I felt really sad looking at it because it destroys our environment, slowly but surely. Environment is not all about garbage. Environment is about everything around us, including humans and animals. And of course, a huge pile of garbage is not good at all for humans and animals in the future.

Do you want to help in reducing the amount of garbage? Here's some tips for my opinion as a kid:

Start from each house:

Work together with your parents on how to reduce the amount of garbage at your house. Collect all the garbage that still could be sold and recycled by recycling factory like plastic, glass, cans, etc. Reducing the garbage MUST be started from each family of each household.


When you go shopping, don't use plastics! :

Don't use plastics because it takes time for plastic to decompose. It takes 10-20 years for decomposing the plastic bags. I got this info from the Science subject at my school. It's better if you bring your own shopping bag.


Re-use and recycle:
I know that you've heard about it a lot and it's annoying but it actually is really important. By recycling and reusing, you can reduce the amount of garbage in a year. For example=
Try to be creative by using plastic bags as aprons. Cut the bottom part and wear it.
Collect unused papers (but make sure that both sides are already used), then recycle paper. Because 1 paper = 1 tree.


Reduce tissue paper:
Maybe it's time for us to be back to the old times when there is no tissue paper produced (as what my mom said). So, people that time used handkerchief or small towels to wipe themselves or to clean something. Handkerchiefs and towels can be washed many times, but tissue papers will end at the garbage bin.

Reduce paper:
Maybe it's time for us to use internet more than printer. I mean, if you do not need to print your data from the computer, you can send the data through emails or save it in the disc or flashdisc.

Be creative:
Actually we can do many things if we want to be creative. For example: if we can re-use the styrofoam for a paint palette, re-decorate cans for fancy containers, bottles for hanging pots, and many more. Just be creative and have fun!

Well that's all I have for today.
Thank you for your time and thank you for reading!!!
Let's love our earth and go green!


Sincerely,

Patricia TGT xoxo
The Green Team


No comments:

Post a Comment