Thursday 9 May 2013

Kangkong, the Water Spinach


Hey y'all!

Patricia here :)

Today, I want to talk to you about water spinach. Water spinach is also known as river spinach, water morning glory and in my country it is called kangkong (Ipomoea aquatica). Did u know that water spinach grows remarkably easily in many areas?


For me, the best way to eat water spinach is to quick stir-fry it. Water spinach grows fast within 4-6 weeks from seeds. It contains vitamin A, B1 and C. It also contains proteins, calcium, phosphorus, iron, carotene, hentriakontan and sitosterol as well as it can cure various health disorders.

I grow my own water spinach at my front yard. I bought the seeds and the composted soil in a plant store. I followed the instructions in planting the seeds and keep the soil wet most of the time. The picture above is my kangkong I plant. Within few weeks, I will be able to harvest my kangkong and stir-fry it for my lunch. Yummy!!!

By the way, there is an unwritten "rule" that you should eat your stir-fried kangkong right away and never eat a left-over kangkong  the day after, because it can be poisonous for you. I don't know whether it is right or wrong, but I always finish eating my kangkong. :)

Thank you for reading :) have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Patricia TGT xoxo
The Green Team

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Patricia.
    It seems, planting vegetables at back/front yard is very nice. Thanks for this nice article. Keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anonymous for the nice comment :)
    Keep reading my write-ups. :)

    ReplyDelete