Wednesday 21 May 2014

My Garden: Some Tips (part 5 - end)

Used containers for pots
Dear Greensters,

Hi! Vanessa and Karuna here!

Today is Galungan day. Happy GALUNGAN DAY to all my friends! Galundan Day is one of Hindhu's important days to celebrate the triumph of good against evil. Because it's holiday, Karuna my best friend is sleeping over here. We have fun in the garden!

We do some recycling activities in the garden. We do gardening with used containers for pots and we recycled used bottle water for water container to water the plants. So, just check your garbage before you throw them away. Maybe you still can recycle some of your garbage into something useful.
Make some holes on the cap

So, this is how we make the water container out of used water bottle. Very simple!:
  • Take an empty bottle and take off the bottle cap.
  • Use anything sharp but that is not dangerous and make some small holes on the bottle cap. I used a small screwdriver to make the holes. I asked my mom to help me with it. Please ask an adult to do it to avoid accident. 
  • Fill the bottle and use the cap (with holes). 
  • Now you can water the plants. This is like a watering can. Easy, simple and you have saved the Earth!
Watering my baby leeks
There are some important things to remember when you water the plants:
  • If the plant is still small, you use the water can or used water bottle with holed caps or you can also use a tea spoon to water the plants. Why? Because baby plants cannot receive a lot of water. They can die because of too much water. 
  • If the plant is big, you use the recycled bottle or watering can but don't give it too much water. 
  • Water your plants routinely every morning and late afternoon. Why? Because if you water your plants in the afternoon, the sun will absorb all the water. If you do it in the morning or late afternoon, the sun is not too shiny and hot so that the roots can hold the water. 

We plant watermelons, chilies (some kinds of chilies, like: red chili, small chili, big chili, green chili), cucumber, tomato cherries, tomatoes, lettuce, leeks and red onions). We planted some of them in some pots out of used containers and on the ground.
My baby lettuce said "Hello, world!"

Note:
I used containers that were used as paint buckets. I have my daddy's staff to clean the containers, cut into the size I need, make some holes on the base of the containers so that the water can flow. Then, I loaded some soils and fertile soils in the container. They become the pots for the plants now. 

Thank you for reading. 

Best Regards,

Vanessa and Karuna
(grade 4 students)

No comments:

Post a Comment