Sunday 4 May 2014

My Garden: Harvest Time (part 3)

Eating Srikaya from my garden
Dear Greensters,

This is me ... Vanessa. 

Do you know what the best time you have in the garden? Yes! It is when you harvest what you have planted. And it's harvesting time for me!


Last week, I harvested one kilograms of turmeric. Turmeric is called 'kunyit' or 'kunir' in Indonesian language. It produces yellow color. If you cut turmerics, your hands will be yellow. But, don't worry because you can wash it easily. You can rub it with olive oil, alcohol or a paste of baking soda and water. Turmeric is really good for your health. It contains antiseptic for curing the wounds, anti-cancer, source of antioxidants and many more. You can read "Back to Nature: JAMU" written by my sister Patricia about how to make turmeric beverage for your health.
Turmeric: fresh from the ground

I also harvested 3 sugar apples. It is called Srikaya in Indonesian language. I don't know when I planted the Srikaya. I remember I ate Srikaya and I threw away the seeds right on the ground. It grows as a big tree of Srikaya now. And it has been many times I harvest my Srikaya. Srikaya is a fruit. It has many black seeds inside covered by white part of the fruit.
Srikaya or Sugar Apple in the tree
You eat the white part. It is sweet. It is not easy to eat Srikaya because it has many seeds. :). But I heard that it is very good as a source of energy.

What plants do you have in your garden?

Thank you for reading.




Best Regards,
Vanessa
(grade 4 student)

No comments:

Post a Comment