Sunday 18 August 2013

How I Train My Turtle!

Mumu: He is big now!
Dear Greensters,

It’s me again VANESSA!

Today I nearly lost my turtle Mumu. Usually after I give my turtle food, I release it at my garden so that it can have fun by walking and breathing the fresh air. I know it’s a turtle but it is like a human and my turtle is going to be bored if I put it in its bucket for a whole day. I don’t have a pond so I just put it in a bucket.

I’ve been taking care of my turtle Mumu for 5 years ago since it was a baby with the diameter not more than 3 centimeters that time. Now he's big with the diameter around 30 centimeters! My turtle Mumu is a Brazillian turtle. We call it green turtle “or "kura-kura hijau" in Indonesia language. 

I want to share with you how I train my turtle. Yes not only dog that can be trained but turtle too:

Give your turtle a name:
When I call my turtle Mumu, it looks at me and follow me around. Giving your turtle a name is important because it can build a close relationship with your turtle.

Take your turtle out of its cage or bucket (if you don’t have a pond): 
Let it have fun by walking around like human so that it will not get bored. And make it as a habit since it was small so that it will get used to exploring the area so that it will not get out farther than the area.
Mumu 2 years ago when I cleaned his bucket

Turtle loves to eat:
People usually feed the turtle three times a week but I feed my turtle twice a day in a small portion of food as his diet. Try to feed your turtle by yourself so that it will get used to you. But my turtle likes everybody who gives him food. :))


Play with your turtle:
Like other pets, turtle loves to play with. Hold it with your hands, try to talk with it and caress it. My turtule Mumu loves to be caressed. Mumu is like a human. He is not scared and he will not pull his head into his shell when I try to touch him. He likes his head to be caressed while I talk to him. Just show your love to your turtle. They will understand.

Turtle loves a shady and cool area:
When you cannot find your turtle around, just try to look for it in shady and cool areas in your home. I found my turtle Mumu today in the corner of my kitchen. It’s cool there. Mumu will not get out to the hot places around my home. He also usually hides under the Pandanus bushes (screwpine genus) in my garden.

I hope this tips will be useful for you and your turtle.
Thank you for reading.

Best Regards,
Vanessa
The Green Team Indonesia

No comments:

Post a Comment