Sunday 2 February 2014

Starbucks' Green Commitment

Hey Greenster!
Ask for a ceramic cup for your drink

Patricia here :)

Today I'm going to talk to you about Starbucks' green commitment. I'm sure most of you all know Starbucks. It is an American global coffeehouse chain that is well-known around the globe. You might think that a very big and wealthy company might not pay attention to those around them. But, it turns out Starbucks is also concerned about our environment.


How? Here is what I want to tell you about Starbucks' green commitment. Of course, as a coffeehouse, they use cups and straws for their beverages. All of their cups and straws and everything else is recycled. In Indonesia, Starbucks here only collects the used cups and straws and then they send them to somewhere abroad (I forgot to ask where hehehe). Then they will recycle it there and distribute the recycled ones to their coffeehouses around the world. You might not find any plastic bag here in Starbucks because they use paper bags for take away orders. And yes, again ... recycled paper bags.

Not only taking care of their garbage, Starbucks also concern with people in need and garbage on the beach. Every month, Starbucks also do environmental activities like beach-clean-up and visiting some orphanages. The money are collected by the staffs that work there. I got all these information from kak Raji. She was very informative. I'm glad I got to talk to her.

My own tumbler
I also read in their website that if you bring your own Starbucks tumbler, you'll get a 10-cent discount. In Indonesia, we get 3,000 rupiah discount. It is also written on the board. So, if you visit Starbucks regularly , I suggest that you buy your own tumbler and you can help save the Earth by re-using your tumbler again and again. Also, my suggestion is that when you order hot chocolate or coffee and you're not taking it away, ask for the ceramic cup, not the paper cup. It's more environmental friendly.

I write this because I'm surprised with the fact that such a big company still so concerns with the environment. They don't think of money and money only.

Thank you to kak Raji and kak Rito from Starbucks Mall Bali Galeria. Sorry that we always disturb you! You both are so kind and friendly to us! :))


Best regards,

Patricia
(grade 8 student)

2 comments:

  1. hi, I love to follow your blog.Nice to read your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear kak Rita, thank you very much. It's an honor for me to have you read our blog. Keep our love to this planet.

      Delete